MSSC delivers its CPT Courses through well-established training organizations. There are three types of Courses to meet various individual and training needs. These Courses are designed (a) to align with MSSC Standards and (b) to help individuals enhance their core knowledge and skills for production work from entry-level to front-line supervisory level.
These Courses are built upon MSSC’s e-learning which includes modular courses for: Safety, Quality Practices & Measurement, Manufacturing Production & Processes, Maintenance Awareness, and Green Production. The online, computer-based simulation training covers the basic and technical skills while providing students and workers with the knowledge and skills needed to prepare them for an advanced, high-performance manufacturing environment.
The Courses can be delivered in three formats:
- Regular: 35-45 hours, 3-credit equivalent, one course for each of the five CPT modules. Can be given in a blended environment with classroom instruction by an instructor or in a fully online format with an online instructor. Recommended primarily for students and others studying in the framework of academic semesters or school years, dislocated workers or career changers.
- Fast Track: 15-18 hours for each module. Fully online with an online instructor. Recommended primarily for experience incumbent workers or dislocated workers with manufacturing experience with limited time available for study. Not available for Green Production. Not available to HS students.
- Intensive Course: 140 hours, continuous, intensive study covering all four modules (excluding Green Production). Recommended primarily for dislocated workers, summer semester students or others with time for full-time continuous study.
MSSC strongly recommends that individuals be at a 9th-grade math and 10th-grade reading level before taking our Courses.
Glencoe McGraw-Hill (GMH) and MSSC have collaborated on producing a well-illustrated, 444-page textbook, High-Performance Manufacturing: Portable Production Skills, to help individuals understand the principles of advanced, high-performance manufacturing. GMH invested heavily in the development of the text materials, particularly to align with MSSC Standards and the text has received broad acclaim as an excellent student resource.
NOTE: Though this is an excellent reference book it alone is not adequate to prepare individuals on the full range of MSSC Standards for Basic Technical Skills which are fully covered in the online curriculum. MSSC recommends the text be accompanied with computer-based training materials to cover MSSC’s Standards for Basis Technical Knowledge & Skills.
We strongly encourage the use of the Glencoe McGraw-Hill MSSC Text Book by every student or trainee. Instructors may also wish to take advantage of the Manufacturing Applications manual and Instructor Resource CD. All orders must be submitted directly to Glencoe McGraw-Hill.
To order call: 800-334-7344 (8 a.m. – 6 p.m. Eastern)
- High-Performance Manufacturing: Portable Production Skills ISBN: 0-07-861487-2
- Manufacturing Applications ISBN 0-07-861183-0
- Instructor Resource CD ISBN: 0-07-861185-7
MSSC has partnered with Amatrol to develop online interactive learning units for the CPT training program. Currently there are 42 online units, each requiring about 2 hours to complete. See the CPT e-Learning Video for an introduction to the online learning program.
These online units coupled with the McGraw Hill text are carefully aligned with MSSC Standards to help prepare students with a knowledge and understanding of its four Critical Work Functions: Safety, Quality Practices & Measurement, Production & Processes and Maintenance Awareness. The specific features and benefits of these online units include:
- Increases computer skills
- Develops machine operation skills through computer-based simulations
- Increases access through online delivery accessible anywhere there is an internet connection
- Provides individualized instruction capability
- Enables greater training capacity through virtual delivery options
Education and training institutions require adequate broadband to deliver MSSC’s computer-based simulation training courses. IT departments at those institutions should check with MSSC prior to ordering Courses. Insufficient band-width may require further set-up activity which resulting in additional fees.
NOTE: MSSC Courses were developed in strict adherence to the industry-recognized, nationally validated standards upon which the Certified Production Technician (CPT) is based. These Courses have a proven track record of success in teaching the knowledge and skills identified in the national standards. MSSC Courses are highly interactive and utilize state-of-the-art, computer-based, simulation e-learning technologies and are delivered by MSSC-Authorized Instructors. MSSC does not review or endorse any other courses or curricula. MSSC does not require that individuals take MSSC Courses or any other MSSC-related courses before taking an MSSC Assessment .