PRODUCTION CERTIFICATION (CPT)
The purpose of the Certified Production Technician (CPTAE) program is to recognize through certification individuals who demonstrate mastery of the core competencies of manufacturing production at the front-line (entry-level through front-line supervisor) through successful completion of the certification assessments. The goal of the CPTAE certification program is to raise the level of performance of production workers both to assist the individuals in finding higher-wage jobs and to help employers ensure their workforce increases the company’s productivity and competitiveness.
The CPTAE program consists of five individual certificate modules: Safety; Quality Practices & Measurement; Manufacturing Processes & Production; Maintenance Awareness and Green Production. Candidates must earn the first four certificates to receive the full CPTAE certification. (Note: At this time Green is not required for full-CPTAE certification.)
Click to download a copy of the Key Work Activities which are the basis for MSSC national standards.
Individuals demonstrate their understanding of the core skills and knowledge though five assessments based upon MSSC's industry-defined, nationally validated skill standards. Delivered online, each assessment contains about 80-90 multiple-choice questions (paper versions are available in special circumstances). Individuals are allowed 90 minutes to complete each assessment. MSSC provides assessment scores as soon as the individual completes an assessment showing whether an individual met the “cut” scores for passing. This immediate feedback includes a diagnostic report for the individual showing how he or she scored on the key work activities. This information is intended for self-improvement and is provided to all test-takers whether they pass or not.
- If assessments are not passed on the first attempt the individual must wait 15 calendar days before retaking the assessment. If the individual does not pass a second time, he/she must wait another 15 calendar days. If the individual does not pass the third time, he/she must wait 60 calendar days before taking the assessment again.
- There are no discounts for assessment retakes.
- Individuals must pass all four CPTAE required assessments within two years in order to achieve the full-CPTAE certification.
- MSSC strongly recommends that individuals be at a 9th-grade math and 10th-grade reading level.
For more information about MSSC's policies on certification, please see our Certification Policies page.
MSSC issues credentials for success on individual assessments as well as full-CPTAE certification.
For each assessment passed, individuals can:
- Download or Purchase the Certificate
- Purchase a Small CPT Arm Patch (first module only)
- Download Key Work Activities document to share with employers
For individuals who pass the first four assessments (does not include Green), they will earn and be able to:
- Download or Purchase the Full Certification document that bears the CPT logo, NAM logo (NAM-endorsed Skills Certificaiton) and ANSI logo with ISO 17024 reference
- Purchase Large CPT Arm Patch
- Download Wallet Card
- Download Key Work Activiites document to share with employers